PSICOLOGIA DEL TURISMO CON LABORATORIOAcademic Year 2023/2024 - Teacher: SILVIA MARIA RITA PLATANIA
Expected Learning Outcomes
Teaching consists mainly of lectures and laboratory exercises.
Lectures aim to present and explore the topics in the syllabus, as well as to provide historical-social-economic contextualization of the main theories.
Field data collection and discussion activities will be offered. These activities will aim to stimulate teamwork, to confront one's own analytical and judgmental skills and ultimately contribute to forming the future professional in the tourism industry. Laboratory exercises will give the student an opportunity to acquire practical ways of directing and managing the tourism phenomenon.
Active participation of students (interventions during lectures, proposals of topics to be explored in depth) will be highly appreciated.
Attendance of Lessons
Detailed Course Content
The course deals with the analysis of the tourism phenomenon in terms of knowledge of tourist behavior and the psychological mechanisms that distinguish it. in addition, special attention will be given, given the presence of the laboratory, to classroom exercises that will focus on the students' acquisition of skills related to the analysis of consumption and management processes to be addressed to the tourist. In particular, the lectures will focus on the following content:
- Study and analysis of cognitive schemas (laddering technique).
- Mechanisms of consumer/tourist perception and learning.
- Functions, motivations of the tourist experience.
- Choice process and interpretive patterns.
- Types of tourists.
- Social and cultural impact of the phenomenon.
- Tourism product-service.
- Quantitative and qualitative research on the psychological structural characteristics that distinguish the tourism phenomenon.
- Customer satisfaction.
- Elements of tourism management analysis.
- Neuromarketing and enhancement of the typical product linked to the territory.
- Tourism and territorial marketing.
- Facilitation and conveyance of a tourism brand.
- Adversiting and tourism brand promotion.
- Maeran R., Psicologia e turismo. Roma-Bari: GLF Editori Laterza, 2004.
- Maeran R., Mignemi G., Psicologia del turismo, nuove forme interattive di consumo. Bologna: Pàtron Editore, 2022.
|Preliminary elements of general and cognitive psychology.
|Legrenzi P., Jacomuzzi A., Fondamenti di psicologia generale. Teorie e pratiche. 2021, Mulino.Dispense a cura del docente.
|The evolution of the tourism phenomenon, Tourism motivation, Push and pull factors, Expectation-value theory, The process of choice, The life cycle of a product/service, Marketing strategies, Human resources, "customer satisfaction."
|Maeran R., Psicologia e turismo. Roma-Bari: GLF Editori Laterza, 2004.
|Tourism destination image, Digital content marketing, Customer engagement and tourism experience, Consumer subjectivity and brand identity.
|Maeran R., Mignemi G., Psicologia del turismo, nuove forme interattive di consumo. Bologna: Pàtron Editore, 2022
|Analysis of the tourism phenomenon and intervention strategies
|Supplementary handouts by the lecturer issued during the workshops
Learning Assessment Procedures
Oral test and practical exercises in progress:
The student/student will be given the opportunity to conduct several tests designed to achieve the required educational objectives. These tests will involve some practical exercises to be carried out in the classroom and the implementation of a research project to be carried out in the area. The work related to both the exercises and the research project will be carried out both individually and in groups and will constitute the compendium at the end of each module addressed by the lecturer. In addition, the laboratory exercises will enable students to be able to carry out the planned tests to the best of their ability.
Students who will not have the opportunity to attend will bring the content given in the texts to the oral examination and will have the opportunity to ask all the necessary clarifications from the lecturer during his or her office hours to cope with it in the best possible way.
For the purpose of the final assessment, the lecturer will take into account:
1) the adequacy and correctness of expression regarding content and methods,
2) the ability to rework knowledge, and compare it,
3) of the ability to organize theoretical knowledge according to specific objectives,
4) of the breadth of thematic awareness and lexical correctness,
5) of the ability to critically investigate, interdisciplinary linkage and transfer knowledge to operational contexts.
Examples of frequently asked questions and / or exercises
The mechanisms of perception in tourism advertising messages
The mechanisms of attention in tourism advertising messages
The tourism phenomenon
Push and pull factors
Digital content marketing
Types of product/service life cycle
The theory of planned behavior
Brand love and brand hate
The value of Restorativeness and its proper use in tourism
Cognitive dissonance and regret in consumption processes