HISTORY OF EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS IN THE MIDDLE AGESAcademic Year 2023/2024 - Teacher: EMANUELE PIAZZA
Expected Learning Outcomes
The expected learning objectives, declined according to the Dublin Descriptors, are the following:
- Knowledge and understanding (DD1) = The course investigates the historical dimension of the educational institutions along the Middle Ages, offering students a critical approach to the different cultural, social and religious facets of this issue, also framing it in the context of the political transformations that occurred in this era.
- Applying knowledge and understanding (DD2) = The student will acquire the skills to connect the theoretical and methodological contents learned with the interpretation of past, present and future events and processes.
- Making judgements (DD3) = The student will acquire the ability to make critical judgments of the content learned and grasp the connection between the objectives and results of research in the field of medieval educational institutions.
- Communication (DD4) = Student's competence in justifying historiographical knowledge and methodologies in oral and written form is one of the educational objectives of the discipline.- Lifelong learning skills (DD5) = The student will acquire the cognitive tools necessary to deal with complex historiographical issues and also to focus on training needs.
Attendance of Lessons
Detailed Course Content
In the course of the lectures, topics such as, for example, the ancient school, the Carolingian reform, the Cultural Renaissance of the 12th century, and the birth and development of universities will be explored.
1) P. Riché, J. Verger, Nani sulle spalle di giganti. Maestri e allievi nel Medioevo, trad. it., Milano, Jaca Book, 2019 (ISBN: 9788816415072).
2) C. Frova, Istruzione e educazione nel medioevo, Torino, Loescher, 1973 (ISBN: 9788820121105).
3) P. Rosso, Le università nell'Italia medievale. Cultura, società e politica (secoli XII-XV), Roma, Carocci editore, 2021 (ISBN: 9788829005079), pp. 23-78.
4) Scrittrici del Medioevo. Un’antologia, a cura di E. Bartoli, D. Manzoli, N. Tonelli, Roma, Carocci editore, 2023 (ISBN: 9788829017560), pp. 11-79.
|1||IL TEMPO DELLE SCUOLE (VI-XII SECOLO)||TESTO 1), PP. 9-154|
|2||L'EPOCA DELLE UNIVERSITA' (XIII-XV SECOLO)||TESTO 1), PP. 157-267|
|3||I 2: RIFORMA DELL'INSEGNAMENTO ELEMENTARE-I 3: L'«ENCYCLICA DE LITTERIS COLENDIS»-I 4: CARLOMAGNO E GLI STUDENTI-I 6: UN RICHIAMO DI LUDOVICO IL PIO-I 9: L'AUTENTICA «HABITA» DI FEDERICO BARBAROSSA||TESTO 2), P. 21; 22; 24; 27; 29 (SI INDICANO, RISPETTIVAMENTE, LE PAGINE INIZIALI DI CIASCUNA FONTE)|
|4||II 2: LA LETTURA NELLA REGOLA DI SAN BENEDETTO-II 4: NASCITA DELLE SCUOLE PARROCCHIALI-III 1: GRAMMATICA E ERESIA-III 4: CORRISPONDENZA TRA MAESTRO E ALLIEVO||TESTO 2), P. 40; 44; 64; 64 (SI INDICANO, RISPETTIVAMENTE, LE PAGINE INIZIALI DI CIASCUNA FONTE)|
|5||IV 2: PEDAGOGIA MONASTICA-IV 4: COME SI PLASMA L'ADOLESCENTE-V 1: LETTERA ENCICLICA INTORNO ALLA CORREZIONE DEI LIBRI DESTINATI ALL'UFFICIO DIVINO-VII 1: LA BOLLA «PARENS SCIENTIARUM» DI GREGORIO IX (1231)||TESTO 2), P. 75; 78; 91; 129 (SI INDICANO, RISPETTIVAMENTE, LE PAGINE INIZIALI DI CIASCUNA FONTE)|
|6||LE ORIGINI DELLE UNIVERSITA'-AUTORITA' E LEGITTIMAZIONE DELLE UNIVERISTA'-L'ORGANIZZAZIONE DELL'INSEGNAMENTO||TESTO 3), PP. 23-78|
|7||INTRODUZIONE-L'EDUCAZIONE||TESTO 4), PP. 11-79|
Learning Assessment Procedures
Examples of frequently asked questions and / or exercises
Rather than a list of frequently asked questions, which, moreover, refer to the topics indicated in the above-mentioned syllabus, it is pointed out that in the examination the student is asked to:
- a correct spatial-temporal collocation of the events;
- an adequate critical re-elaboration of the topics addressed by the teaching;
- an effective ability to make connections between the various topics addressed in the course of the lectures.