Stefano LENTINIAssociate Professor of HISTORY OF EDUCATION [M-PED/02]
Phone: +39 095 2508032
Web Site: www.aspeict.it
Office Hours: Tuesday from 12:00 to 13:00 Via TEAMS | Wednesday from 17:00 to 17:30 via Ofelia | Thursday from 10:00 to 11:00 via Ofelia
Latest update, 05/09/2019
Stefano Lentini Professor of History of Education at the Department of Educational Sciences, University of Catania (since 2020).
In march 2017, he was a awarded a university professorship habilitation in "Pedagogy and History of education" (associate professor - 11D/1).
Researcher Junior at the Department of Educational Sciences, University of Catania (from 2012 to 2017), where he earned the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Fundamentals and Methods of Learning Processes (2011) with a thesis on "The history of the prison in the process of social democratization in Italy. The educational support and the reasons of control".
After earning his doctorate (along with a scholarship), he won a research grant in "History of education" (AY 2010/2011) concerning the "Historical development of theories and pedagogical practices social recovery, reception, rehabilitation and care", with renewal in AY: 2011/2012 (promoted by the Department of Educational Sciences, University of Catania and headed by Prof. A. Criscenti).
National and international awards
1) 2014 - National award by Fondazione Vito Fazio-Allmayer, for the monograph "L’educazione in carcere. Profili storico-pedagogici della pena, Palermo 2012".
2) 2015 - International award by the Italian Center for Historical Educational Research (CIRSE), for the monograph "Lumi, arte, rivoluzione in Spagna. La 'pedagogia sociale' di Francisco Goya y Lucientes”, Milano 2015.
Fund for the financing of basic research activities by Ministry of Education, University and Research, 2017.
Main contributions to national and international conferences
He has been a speaker at numerous national and international conferences:
- 2008 at II Colòquio Internacional Antropologia do Imaginàrio e Educaçao do envolvimento/desenvolvimento, Universidade Federal Rural de Pernambuco, Brazil.
- 2013, 2014, 2017 at conferences of Italian Society of Pedagogy (SIPED).
- 2012, 2016, 2018 at conferences of Italian Center for Historical Educational Research (CIRSE).
- 2010, 2015, 2016 at conferences organized by the Department of Educational Sciences at the University of Catania.
- 2018 at conferences organized by the Department of Uman Sciences at the University of L'Aquila.
- 2018 at conferences organized by the Faculté des Lettres, Arts et Sciences Umanies at the University of Nice Sophia Antipolis(France).
view the publications
Research interests and activities
The commitment of his research is oriented historical-critical investigation of the relationship between education and politics. His basics areas of research are the following ones:
- Education and Teaching at the jail’s school from the XIX to the XX.
- Education and Teaching at the italian’s school in the XX century.
- Arts and History of education.
He is part of scientific committees for work collections such as the book series "Insieme nella ricerca pedagogica. Storia, teoria, metodi" - Fondazione Nazionale Vito Fazio –Allmayer, directed by Antonia Criscenti (University of Catania) and the book series “Verso il domani. Percorsi di educazione e formazione” directed by Tiziana Iaquinta (University of “Magna Graecia” - Catanzaro).
He is part of the Editorial Board for the series “Storia dell’educazione” – Progedit, directed by Antonella Cagnolati (University of Foggia) and Barbara De Serio (University of Foggia).
He is reviewer for several national and international magazines, among which: "Rivista di Storia dell'Educazione", "Espacio, Tiempo y Educación", “Ricerche di pedagogia e didattica. Journal of Theories and research in education”. He is reviewer for the book series “Storia/Storie dell’educazione. Luoghi, pratiche figure”, Edizioni Junior(Bergamo), and the book series Pedagogia sociale, storia dell’educazione e letteratura per l'infanzia”, Franco Angeli (Milano).
He is member of "Centro Italiano per la Ricerca Storico-Educativa" (C.I.R.S.E.), of "Società Italiana di Pedagogia" (SIPED), of "Società di Politica, Educazione e Storia" (SPES). He is member of “Associazione Pedagogica Italiana” (As.Pe.I) and vice president of a As.Pe.I’s local section.